As a former Music Together di

in Here is your first Forum Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 pm
by lluggg602 • 6 Posts

How to raise a child who loves music

Want to raise a child who loves and appreciates music? It's easier than learning to play "Chopsticks." You don't have to be a virtuoso. All you need to do is create a music rich environment. Here are some tips on orchestrating the beginnings of a lifelong love of music:

Sing songs to and with your child. Whether you're doing a solo or chiming in with the radio or CD player, you're setting the stage. Don't worry about performing an aria or the full score from the Lion King simple Wholesale Jerseys tunes like "Old MacDonald" or "Itsy Bitsy Spider" are music to your child's ears. And definitely don't worry if you're a tad off key. "Singing in tune is not a requirement," says Wendy Sims, professor and director of music education at the University of Missouri at Columbia. "What's important is that you interact with your child musically, which shows your youngster that you value music." Also, if you feel insecure about your voice, it's best to avoid negative statements such as "I can't carry a tune." You're trying to develop a positive attitude toward music, and children aren't the harsh music critics that many adults are. Click on the radio, pop in a tape, insert a CD. With a flip of a switch or the push of button, you can make music an integral part of your child's everyday life, and thus help him develop an interest in music. Young children are receptive to all kinds of music: jazz, classical, pop, African, Latin, and so on. By playing a variety of artists, composers, and styles, you create a stimulating musical environment a home filled with the sounds of different instruments, languages, Wholesale Jerseys and rhythms. Also, the sooner you introduce a child to the different styles of music, the better. Many symphonies perform children's concerts. Some may even be specifically designed for preschoolers. Kindermusik, a national music program, is a popular choice for children from newborn to age 7. The classes are designed around developmental stages, and the children learn about music through activities such Cheap Jerseys as singing, moving to music, and playing games and simple instruments. If your child can bang out a tune on your pots and pans, why not put on a show? Make it casual, but special. Maybe you accompany your little drummer boy on a whistle. You might even videotape the show as Wholesale NFL Jerseys a gift for Grandma and Grandpa.

As a former Music Together director, I applaud this article. Well done!! I have shared it over and over on my facebook and twitter pages. Parents think of the music channel in the brain just like the language channel, it is developed the same way. Children need to hear you sing be musical it doesn't matter whether you are good at it or not. You are making the musical neurons fire everytime you create a musical event with them.

A bit of self promotion here: for inspiration, I created a website for 0 8 year olds and all their musical needs! check it out!This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Please review the Terms of Use before using this site. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: dfgbfd
Board Statistics
The forum has 10876 topics and 13853 posts.