team is apparently poisoned wi

in Here is your first Forum Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 am
by lluggg585 • 6 Posts

Touching All the Bases

THREE PLAYERS OTHER THAN TOM BRADY THAT I'LL BE WATCHING:

1. : is about as close irreplaceable as a defensive lineman can be, but the Patriots have been smart and fortunate in their efforts to fill the massive hole left by his season ending Achilles' injury. is on his third NFL team as a rookie, but there's no doubt he's found a home with 4.5 sacks, he trails only among Patriots. And this week's acquisition of run stuffer Sopoaga from the Eagles should prove a savvy move. He's a player who has been on Bill Belichick's radar since the 2004 draft, the same year the Patriots took Wilfork in Round 1.

"A pretty good fourth round pick, I'd say,'' said Belichick Friday, suggesting the Patriots were going to choose him later that round, only to be beaten to the punch by the Niners. "If you knew what his career was going to be, he could have gone in the second he couldn't have gone in the first ahead of some people who were drafted in that round obviously. No, I'd say he's had a real good career. To be a fourth round pick that's done what he's done, I'd say not too many of them have done that, right?"

2. : He probably would have helped, right? The Patriots signed the restricted free agent receiver to a one year, $2.5 million offer sheet in the offseason. The Steelers matched a few hours before the deadline, and he returned to the only organization he has known, where he's had a better than decent season, with 31 catches for 396 yards and two touchdowns. Presuming he'd have been in that class of pass catchers capable of coming in and picking up the offense quickly, he'd have probably prevented some of the growing pains that came with depending on and immediately. Worth remembering: Sanders is an unrestricted free agent in the offseason, and Bill Belichick spoke admiringly of him this week.

3. Well, I was looking forward to watching : The perception was that Authentic Bradley Roby Jersey the Patriots' surprising decision to cut the well liked punter in training camp was salary cap related, and there was probably some truth there. But it's also more than fair halfway through the season to presume Bill Belichick just thought was better. The rookie hasn't been the second coming of he's 14th in the league in net punting average (40.4), though he's put 16 punts inside the 20. But he's been much better than Mesko was in his first year with the Steelers before he was cut this week Lamin Barrow Authentic Jersey he was 29th in net, with a league worst three punts inside the 20. And yes, this probably is the only time we'll ever mention the punters in this segment, at least until Guy makes that comeback.

YEAH, DECENT DRAFT, I GUESS. BUT WHAT BECAME OF HUGH LICKISS AND OCTAVUS MORGAN, HUH? HUH!? The Steelers' 1974 draft has to be in the best one year talent haul in the history of professional sports, right? In their first five picks, they chose four future Hall of Famers (1st round, 21st overall), (2, 46), (4, 82) and (5, 125). That quartet joined a collection of young talent that the Steelers had amassed between 1969 72 that included , Terry Bradshaw, , and to form the core of the '70s Pittsburgh dynasty. Funny, the Patriots' best pick in that '74 draft was a linebacker chosen 12 picks before the Steelers took Lambert. I don't think anyone around here would gripe about http://www.broncosofficialonlinestore.com/Lamin_Barrow_Jersey_Broncos the selection of tackling machine , right? Heck, had he ended up in Pittsburgh, he'd probably be in the Hall of Fame himself.

GRIEVANCE OF THE WEEK: I know, this has nothing to do with the Steelers. But if you need a real reason as a Patriots fan to loathe the Dolphins, this situation seems to be a good place to start. From the details we know, that team is apparently poisoned with the http://www.broncosofficialonlinestore.com/Bradley_Roby_Jersey_Broncos worst of jock culture.

PREDICTION, OR GOOD THING THEY NEVER KNEW WHAT THEY HAD IN MIKE VRABEL: The Steelers' won lost record isn't what you'd expect, but they've been too worthy a foe for the Patriots during the past decade or so to dismiss them. The defense is playing better, shutting out the Raiders in the second half last week, and they've allowed the fourth fewest yards in the league. If 's hand is an issue, the Patriots' offense could have a tough time getting going, especially if Steven Ridley remains underestimated by his own coaches. But the defense, with and apparently expected to play, should hold down the Steelers' offense, sending the Patriots into the bye on a positive note. Patriots 20, Steelers 10

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: hsdjkbmbulNM369
Board Statistics
The forum has 10915 topics and 13892 posts.